Friday, December 2, 2011

And It Was So

I saved this picture from a Christmas Eve church bulletin one year, a very long time ago. I remember being struck by the deep pleasure in Mary's countenance as she held the Christ child.

Her joyful serenity spoke of the way that I wanted to learn to treasure the gift of Immanuel. Her motherly bliss held a dream that one day, too, perhaps God would grant, even to me, the gift of child.

As my belly is growing quite rapidly in this season of expectancy, I once again found this picture amidst my belongings. I was reminded of all the many times I had stared at Mary's face in great hope in seasons past. I couldn't help but think of the old lines from a hymn of praise "Hast thou not seen, how all thy longings have been granted in what He ordaineth?"

Yes, it is so.